Raleghs Cross was purchased by Graham and Sue in November 2018, after wanting to buy Raleghs cross some 15 years earlier. We are a family run business with Graham and Sue taking a keen interest in the day to day running with the assistance of their eldest son Tristan helping with the technical side of the business and brand development and Daughter Emma helping out with the redecorating and general administration.
Raleghs Cross Inn is a beautiful traditional inn, it has been a popular pub starting in the 1850’s, back then pub was busy with the local miners. Now Raleghs Cross is popular with locals and visitors alike.
Since we have taken over we have embarked on a big refurbishment project, which so far includes; the complete redecoration of our function room which looks stunning for weddings and functions. Our function suite and outside Pagoda are both licensed for civil ceremonies.
We have added some fantastic covered outdoor tree trunk gazebos, these look amazing on the front lawn and have been really popular with our customers.
We are currently developing the camping and touring site and are now taking guests. We look forward to developing this further and welcome any ideas for future events in our event fields.
The Brazier at Raleghs cross is one of a pair the other one is situated two miles to the east of Raleghs – it was placed at Raleghs cross to commemorate 400th anniversary of the defeat of the spanish armada in 1588. The original braziers were part of a regular network of communications to give news of the approach of an enemy at least from time of threats of spanish invasion in the 16th century to the Napoleonic Wars of the early 19th Century.
Near the present site stands a medieval cross, called raleghs cross after the Ralegh family, which once served as a landmark on the Brendon Ridgeway. The pillbox formed part of England’s defences against invasion in 1939.
The pillbox, a world war II pillbox, which is situated 100m west of Raleghs cross hotel survives intact at an important and well known junction on Exmoor. It is one of 2 built inland on exmoor. It survives intact – its an example of a ‘Type 24’ Pillbox one of around 500 of the 1700 originally built in England. The pillbox forms part of the anti-invasion defensive system established in 1940 to counter the threat of German invasion.